“Long time no see, friend!”
You’re at Gen’s garden today. He had told you to visit some time ago, because he had a surprise for you. (And also, secretly, he missed talking to you!)
“I had an amazing encounter, friend. When I was outside the Pond collecting some herbs for Varian and flowers for Xiaolong, I saw a beautiful crane standing in the clearing!” he recounts, his eyes lighting up.
“I was so scared to move, but the crane came up to me and looked at me. We exchanged a smile before they flew away.”
Gen smiles at the memory. “I was so inspired, like when Varian gets a costume idea, so I wanted to share some of my produce that reminds me of the crane that I saw with you!”
Hello friends! I hope all of you are well and are looking forward to a wonderful and restful weekend. 💛
Yesterday, I was struck with a pang of inspiration — it’s a moment where I get this incredible and striking image in my head that compels me to just create. I don’t often get these, but when I do, they send me into this state where I can draw for hours without pause.
It so happens that this lightning strike of inspiration came at a great time, as Descendant of the Crane by Joan He released a few days ago. And so, after three hours of drawing, I drew this:
At some point, I’m going to do a blog post about my journey as an artist so far, but, I’m really really proud of this, for several reasons:
- I think this is one of the best things I’ve drawn so far.
- When I look at this art piece, and compare it to the first piece I did after coming back from a five-year hiatus from art… I’ve really really improved, and I cannot express how much of a relief that is for me. I really believed, for a long time, that I was not getting better. But this piece shows that I am getting better.
- I actually woke up this morning and didn’t hate it (and I cannot say the same for my previous pieces).
I shared this fanart on Twitter, and I have been so overwhelmed by all the wonderful, kind, supportive, and enthusiastic responses I’ve received for this. Creating art can be such a terrifying endeavour, because artists bare themselves to criticism and validating our own fears and anxieties, so hearing such a positive response has been so validating. Thank you all so much for your kind words.
I thought I would turn this into a phone wallpaper! I received a few messages asking me whether they could turn this fanart into a phone wallpaper, so I thought I’d make them myself with the right dimensions! I hope you all enjoy them! 🌻
However, because I am sharing my fanart with you all to use, and also for free, I am trusting you all to adhere to the following:
- Do not redistribute my wallpapers (i.e., do not upload it to other sites; please link to this post).
- Do not reproduce them (i.e., do not take my artwork and use them for personal or commercial purposes other than their intended purpose as phone wallpapers).
- Do not claim my art/wallpaper as your own (i.e., do not tell others that you made them; give me credit, via my blog or Twitter).
- Do not remove my ‘artfromafriend’ watermark.
- If you want to share my wallpapers, please link to this post or my Twitter or Instagram profile (@artfromafriend).
Descendant of the Crane Wallpapers!
Left (Hesina in the center): Link
Center (Hesina off-center): Link
Right (Cranes only): Link
As a reminder, all my wallpapers are for your personal use only and are for the intended use of phone wallpapers! If you like my art and would like to support me, any tips via my ko-fi are always appreciated, and I do have a Society6 store (which I plan to update with new designs soon)!
If you have any issues accessing the wallpapers or the wallpapers don’t fit your phone’s resolutions, please don’t hesitate to shoot me a direct message via Twitter or to contact me via email.
I hope you all have a wonderful day, friends! (And if you do use my wallpaper, please share it with me on social media! It’s nice to see them being used! 💛)